1 x cup raw almonds soaked for 8 – 12 hours
7 or 8 cups filtered water
Natural sweetener (optional to taste)
Kefir is a creamy, cultured substance most akin to yoghurt. It is rich in probiotics and has a number of health benefits. Normally made using dairy milk and grains, our recipe uses almonds, probiotics and water, making it a great option for people avoiding grains and dairy or animal products. Makes 4-6 cups kefir.
- Rinse and drain your almonds thoroughly.
- Blend almonds and water in your Vitamix or other high quality blender for about 2 minutes until nuts are completely pulverised.
- Strain the milk through into a large glass bowl.
- Add the contents of about 4 x Bioglan Probiotic capsules and gently stir with a wooden spoon.
- Cover the bowl with a breathable cloth and allow to stand at room temperature for about 12 hours or over-night. More time may be needed in colder months. You can wrap the bowl with a towel to help insulate and retain warmth.
- After about 12 hours, your mixture should look like a yellow almond water with a layer of cream’ on top, and smell fermented like yoghurt. If there is just a thin layer and not much odour, it is not quite done.
- Gently skim this cream’ off with a spoon and keep for use in smoothies and puddings.
- Strain the remaining liquid with a fine mesh strainer.
- Store the kefir in sealed glass mason jar in the fridge for up to a week.
- Flavour and sweeten to taste with vanilla extract, liquid stevia, cinnamon, low sugar fruit .