– 225g (8 oz) chickpeas
– 3 cloves of garlic
– 1 onion
– ½ cup tahini
– 2 tsps of Bioglan Beetroot powder mixed with 70ml of water
– ¼ cup lemon juice
– 1 tbsp ground cumin
– ¼ cup olive oil
1. In a large bowl, cover chickpeas with cold water and soak overnight.
2. Drain chickpeas and place in a large heavy saucepan; add onion, cover with water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 1 hour, or until chickpeas are very soft. Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid. Allow to cool.
3. Add the beetroot powder and water to the chickpeas and onions, tahini, garlic, lemon juice and cumin. Blend until smooth. Slowly, while the machine is running, pour in more beetroot juice or the reserved cooking liquid, and olive oil. Continue to process until mixture is thoroughly combined.
4. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Serve with crackers or fresh vegetables.